Thursday, May 3, 2012

Confusion in Anesthesia: New Take


One Professor was visiting us and talking about his own experiences.
“I don’t know how to cope” he said. “I have not experienced anything like this from anyone else before.”
“What do you mean?” I was confused and showed it.
“It is my Associate Professor” he said. “The other day, I found a patient in the postoperative ward, recovering from anesthesia and surgery. She has undergone cryocauterization of cervical erosion, the Registrar said. I was surprised. It is something that requires no anesthesia and no hospitalization. So I asked why she was in the postoperative ward. Madam asked us to give her anesthesia, so we gave her TIVA, the Registrar explained. I remembered the said Associate Professor making a fist of her right hand, saying ‘now cryosurgery’ and marching towards the OT as if going on a mission. I was surprised, but never thought she would get it done under TIVA. So I told the Registrar not to use anesthesia again, but two weeks later the Associate Professor got another cryocauterization done under TIVA again. I had to speak to her firmly to break this habit.”
“Hmm…” I said. There was nothing else worth saying.
“Then there was a patient who was undergone an MTP in another civic hospital. She had some retained products of conception, and had come to us. When I asked her why had she not gone back to the doctors who had performed the MTP, she started crying and said they had done it without any anesthesia and it had been very painful. So I told my entire unit, including the Associate Professor to do her D & C under general anesthesia, like TIVA. But when I reached the OT, I found this patient screaming on the operation table, undergoing D & C. It turned out they were told to do it under local anesthesia by the Associate Professor, even when she was reminded that I had specifically asked them to do it under general anesthesia. The patient was fit for anesthesia.”
“She must have guts, overruling the boss” I said.
“I suppose so” he said. “I asked her why she did that, and she just kept looking at me.”
“Did you give her a memo?” I asked.
“No. I think she has a lot of baggage that memos will not get rid of” he said.
“Maybe she wanted to just get the list finished and run away” I suggested. “Or may be she does not like to be told what to do, even by the boss.”
“Perhaps. But the painful thing is that this same person keeps preaching kindness to patients, bioethics and humanities all the time.”
“Heavy stuff” I said.
“I don’t understand that myself” he said, “but now I wonder if she understands it herself.”
“Perhaps the explanation is quite simple” I said. “She does not know what anesthesia is required for what procedure, either because her teachers did not teach her, or she did not read on her own, or both.” That left him as confused as his Associate Professor was about the choice of anesthesia.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क