Friday, May 18, 2012

Hospital Innovations: Psychiatrist's Couch

The corridor is the place where the relatives of patients sit while they wait for their patients in the ward to get well. We had sturdy, teak wood benches, which were pld and had stood the test of time while generations of relatives sat on them and generations of bed bugs were said to have lived in their crevices and thrived on the relatives' blood. When they renovated the building, the architect-contractor pair managed to put stainless steel benches, while the heritage wooden benches went their own way or someone else's way. We found the following near one ward, and they remained just like that for months.
"Why do they not repair them?" I asked. I was not expected to know, because the benches were not given to any of my ward sisters to manage. "Sir, it is said that the personnel of the concerned area have deliberately removed the legs on one side, so that the relatives do not sit on them" someone told me.
"Whyever not? That is what they are meant for."
"The relatives throw wrappers of food articles, empty water bottles and other stuff where they sit."
Ah!" I said. I knew they did that.
"That is why they do not get them repaired."
"That is quite innovative" I said. "I don't think any man or woman can sit on these benches in their current state."
"Sir, we can do better" said another innovator. "We could send them to the psychiatry department. The psychiatrist's couch is like that."
"Luckily I have not had to see a psychiatrist's couch. I have seen pictures, but they did not show such a tilt. "Are you sure they have such a tilt?" I asked.
"Yes, Sir. It is meant to counter the tilt of the brains of those patients."
Then I knew he was pulling my leg.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क