Friday, May 11, 2012

Kissing Ovaries

The two ovaries normally lie on the posterolateral aspect (behind and to one side in simple English) of the uterus, near the cornua. They may come to lie behind the uterus, stuck to each other in the midline. Then they are called 'kissing ovaries'. It must have been someone romantic who coined the term. Since it is quite appealing to most people, it has stuck. Most of the cases are due to ovarian endometriosis. But I have seen a few with pelvic inflammatory disease too.
Today my people were operating on a case of bilateral endometriomas, which were about 2-3 cm in diameter each. The laparoscope was inside the peritoneal cavity, and the camera was attached to it. The picture was seen on the endoscopy monitor.
"They are kissing ovaries" the operating surgeon said. But when they were manipulated, they moved away from each other, only to go back to original lip-lock when the pressure was removed.. They were not adherent to each other. They were just held next to each other by their adhesions to the adjacent part of the uterus.
"They are not truly kissing" I said. "It is just a platonic kiss."
They proceeded to remove the endometriomas. When that was done, I said, "Now suture up the ovaries".
"Umm ..." said the operating surgeon, "I think I will not suture them. I cannot do that."
"If you do not suture the cut edges, the raw surface will invite adhesions" I said.
"Yes. But I won't because I have not done that before."
"Then they will actually stick to each other as they appeared to be doing. Then the kiss will no longer be platonic" I said.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क