Friday, July 6, 2012

GOPD


They run a general outpatient clinic called GOPD (General Out Patient Department). It is manned mainly by interns, and probably by resident doctors of preventive and social medicine. It is like the general practice of doctors who go into private practice after obtaining their M.B.B.S. degree and practice family medicine. Clinical examination is often cursory and prescriptions are based solely on the patients’ symptoms. It is not supposed to be so, neither in GOPD nor in family practice. But many interns do not realize this, I suppose. How they change when they start family practice is beyond my comprehension.
One patient was referred to my outpatient clinic from GOPD for genital prolapse. She had gone to GOPD with breathlessness and prolapse. I looked at her case paper. There were no examination findings. She had been given iron, calcium and multivitamin tablets at the first visit to the GOPD. She had not improved. At the next visit she had received the same medicines, plus tablet salbutamol. She had not improved with that too. I checked her up. She had uterovaginal prolapse. Her respiratory and cardiovascular systems were normal. There was no bronchospasm. I advised her appropriate tests and made a medical reference for her breathlessness. Finally it turned out to be just old age and poor stamina, and having to keep working to survive. We treated her prolapse and she went away happy.
That intern who prescribed asthma medicine without clinical evidence of any bronchospasm reminded me of a student who was in my class. The fellow was supposed to be reasonably bright. When we were posted at an urban slum as interns, he prescribed aspirin tablets to one patient in a dose of 2 tablets four times a day. I was running the dispensary. I dispensed 1 tablet three times a day and went looking for him.
“Why did you prescribe such a large dose?” I asked him.
“The patient said he had ‘verrrry’ severe pain” he said, drawing out the word ‘very’ to indicate a very high degree of ‘very’.
“If the patient had said he had ‘verrrrrrrry’ severe pain, would you have prescribed 4 tablets four times a day?” I asked him. I hear he went to UK to do FRCS, came back to India to try his hand on patients, was dissatisfied by the lukewarm response, went to US and did MS to settle down there. I wonder if he still holds a grudge against me for asking that question.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क