Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sticking plaster as eraser


People in my institute specialize in the use of sticking plaster (adhesive tape) in ways more than one can imagine. Practically every department uses it in innovative ways.I had done extensive research on the topic before writing an article on this topic and thought I had listed all possible uses of the sticking plaster, conventional as well as unconventional, as found in our institute. But I was wrong.
The other day we were working in the OT. I was checking the consent given by a patient for undergoing an operation. There was an error in the form.
“This is an error” I pointed it out to my Registrar. “Please correct it.”
I thought she would get a new consent form, fill it up, and get the patient’s signature again. Either she had no spare form, or she was eco-friendly and did not want to waste a sheet of paper, or there was no time. I think it was the last reason. They are very particular about time slots in the OT. They do not permit induction of anesthesia after 1:00 P.M. Any wastage of time means one or two operations getting postponed. SO she took out a strip of sticking plaster, stuck it over the word to be changed, and pulled it off. A thin layer of the paper came off with it, removing the unwanted word. Then she proceeded to write a new word in place of the one just removed. I suppose this would not be acceptable on a bank cheque or an affidavit, but was OK on a consent. She took the patient’s signature on the change. She achieved two things – one was a correction in the consent, and the other was my education on a newer use of a sticking plaster.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क