Thursday, July 5, 2012

Heavy Menorrhagia – Light Menorrhagia


The clinical histories of patients coming to our outpatient clinics are written by interns. Based on how much attention they paid to their teachers when they were students, and how much knowledge they acquired when they prepared for their exams, the interns wrote clinical histories of varying quality. One of them wrote the chief complaint of a patient as ‘Heavy menorrhagia’.
“Will you kindly explain what is heavy menorrhagia” I asked him.
“That is very heavy menstrual blood loss” he said.
“Since there is heavy menorrhagia, there must be light menorrhagia too” I said.
“….” He had probably not heard of that one.
“Will you tell me where you learned the term ‘heavy menorrhagia’?” I asked him.
“I picked it up while working as an intern” he said.
“From whom?” I wanted a complete answer.
“From a senior intern or a house officer. I am not sure which one” he said.
“Will you kindly stick to just ‘menorrhagia’ in future, and describe the patient’s blood loss in terms of sanitary pads used per day, the duration of blood loss, and passage of blood clots?” I asked.
“Yes” he said. I suppose he did, because I have not encountered that complaint again on any patient’s case paper, thought there have been plenty with ‘menorrhagia’.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क