Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Correcting Boss' Spellings

When people start correcting you in a tone meant for not hurting you, you should know that you have become old, started losing your grip on things and perhaps are already suffering from Alzheimer's disease. Even if it is not true, at least you can rest assured that the speaker believes it to be true. I have this Associate Professor in my department, who has always been completing my sentences in meetings by uttering the last words. She probably believes I would not know what I wanted to say, or would have forgotten it by the time I reached the end of the sentence even if I had known it when I started at the beginning of the sentence. I put it down as a flaw in her character and ignore it. But when your resident doctors start correcting you, you should get worried. It is a dangerous situation, because they are supposed to learn from you, and if they believe they know better, there is going to be trouble for patients, unless what they believe is true. If it is, it is time you left and did something else.
I had examined a patient the other day, and was listing the investigations she needed. I prefer to write the clinical notes and advice myself, and I was doing exactly that. The Registrar was watching what I did, though she should have been seeing another patient - there were a lot of them waiting.
"Sir, you have written that test wrong" she said in soft voice.
"Which one?" I asked, sure that I gad done no such thing.
"You have written 'Urinalysis' when it should be 'Urine Routine'." She was probably afraid the patient would not get the test done if she went to the laboratory with that request.
"It is a correct English word found in the medical dictionary" I said.." It means routine and microscopic examination of urine. The laboratory people know it, and all my patients have come back with reports when I asked for it over the last thirty two years."
She kept quiet. I hope she checked the dictionary. She has not corrected my English subsequently. But I am afraid of her for the patients' sake anyway. God knows what other things that I do she thinks are wrong, and corrects them without telling me.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क