Friday, August 17, 2012

Five Millimeters to Bladder Catastrophe

The juniors watch the seniors perform some operations and think it is a piece of cake or something. They perform the operations following the same steps, and often nothing gos wrong, more out of luck than good planning. One example of this is while performing a vaginal hysterectomy. They make a transverse incision on the anterior vaginal mucosa, not knowing exactly where they make the incision and why exactly there and not elsewhere. They keep cutting the fascia underneath, not knowing how close the urinary bladder is.
“Why do you cut where you are cutting?” I ask when I feel one of them is particularly dangerous.
“To open the uterovesical fold of peritoneum.”
“Where do you place your incision?” I ask.
“Here.”
“But what landmark do you use to decide where to cut?” I persist.
“About an inch from the external os” is the most precise answer I have received to date.
“No. You cut at the junction of the portio vaginalis and the anterior vagina” I say.
“Uh …” is the usual answer or there is no answer and I rejoice that it is not “Duh…”
“You seem to be cutting rather boldly” I say. “Do you know where the urinary bladder is?”
“Here” the resident points in the direction of the anterior vagina.
“Yes. But how close to your incision?”
“…”
Then I proceed to put a bladder sound through the urethra into the bladder and show that the limit of the bladder is just within 5 mm of the incision. That hopefully scares them.
“Remember you can open the bladder if you go 5 mm beyond” I warn. I do not make it a routine, because I do not like to risk introduction of infection into the bladder. The other day my Assistant Professor told me a story, which added another reason for not doing so.
“Where I trained, the professor used to put a bladder sound into the bladder as a routine, to show where the limit of the bladder was. One day, the Registrar did that to show the Houseman where the bladder was. Unfortunately he did not know how much force to use. The bladder sound perforated the bladder and came out of the anterior vagina. Then they had to call the urologist to repair it.”

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क