Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Five Degrees to Vascular Catastrophe

Laparoscopy is a blind procedure. One does not know where the tip of the Veress’ needle of the trocar and cannula is located. One relies on merciful God and enters the peritoneal cavity. It becomes safer only after the telescope replaces the trocar and one can see inside the abdomen. Complications are few if one adheres to strict discipline while performing the procedure. The resident doctors in training, and even their seniors often do not realize that it can be very dangerous. They go through the prescribed steps, sometimes skipping a few, and not always adhering to the rules of safety.
“Your Veress’ needle is oblique. It is directed towards retroperitoneal pelvic vessels. Bring it back to midline” I admonish “or you will cause a vascular injury. I am that careful because I know women can die of it. They don’t believe it because they don’t believe it can happen and that I must be just nagging. They correct the direction somewhat, only to go obliquely again in a minute or two. The other day a second year resident was performing laparoscopy. An Assistant Professor was assisting, guiding every step. I had already corrected the direction of the Veress’ needle twice. Then she inserted the trocar and cannula, passing it an angle with the midline before I could stop her. I had a premonition of danger. Then she hooked up the endoscopy camera to the telescope. There was no blood anywhere, which was a good sign. I washed up and had a look inside the patient’s abdomen, moving the telescope all around.
“What is that you see there?” I asked.
“…..”
I zoomed in.
“It is an injury. But is not bleeding actively” the Assistant Professor said. It was penetrating injury in the parietal peritoneum and underlying tissues close to the right pelvic brim. He was right, it was not bleeding actively.
“What is that just medial to it?” I asked. They all looked carefully.
“Those are arterial pulsations” he said.
“If the tip of the trocar had been five millimeters lateral, it would have punctured the vessel and produced an instant hemoperitoneum, and possibly death of the woman” I said.
“Yes, Sir.”
Now look carefully at the positions of the telescope and watch the field on the monitor” I said. I focused first on the vessel, and then brought the telescope to midline. I repeated the maneuver a couple of times.
“Did you notice through what angle the telescope moved from midline to be directed to the vessel?” I asked.
“About five degrees.”
“Now do you realize you can cause a catastrophic vascular injury just by deviating from midline by 5 degrees?”
“Yes, Sir.”
I was happy I had taught them something that they would remember for ever. I was also happy about the novel method of teaching I had used without actually thinking and planning.
Nothing lasts forever. My happiness lasted for one month. Then the Veress’ needle got directed again away from midline. I think God must be moving these vulnerable structures away from the tips of Veress’ needles and trocars temporarily, like the trees and buildings moved from the flying bus in the Harry Potter series.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क