Friday, August 24, 2012

Spinach and Sausages

I am not sure these two items go together on a menu. Perhaps they do, perhaps they don't. But I found a link between them, and quite a curious one at that.
I was teaching transverse lie to the undergraduate students. The textbook description of the bag of forewaters during labor is 'sausage-shaped', which I described as such because otherwise some of them might feel I had not read the textbooks. But I had a feeling about it. So I asked,
"How many of you do not know what a sausage is?"
One of the 100 students raised his hand, followed by another student, who probably took courage from him and decided to raise her hand. That did not mean that the remaining 98 students knew what it was. In an opinion poll, when I ask people with a positive answer to rasie their hands, a few do so. Then when I ask those with a negative answer to raise their hands, a few do so. A vast majority never raise their hands. They may be considered to be neutral, though they might be too lazy to do so, or afraid of committing, or having a problem of emotional disconnect or a host of other things.
"No harm. Vegetarians need not know what a sausage is" I said. Since they did not need to know about it, I did not tell them what it was. They could always look it up in a dictionary or on Google. "For those, we shall describe the bag of forewaters as 'banana-shaped'."
This made me think of a classmate of mine, who during an undergraduate bedside clinic had answered a question on factors predisposing to urinary calculi as 'spinach'.
"What is spinach?" the Lecturer asked.
"I don't know" the guy said after a moment's thought.
"What made you say 'spinach' then?"
"I read that in surgery book by Bailey and Love" he answered.
This guy went on to become a surgeon in due course, tried his hand at practice for some time, did not make it, and went to US. Last heard of, he was working there. His patients there must be able to understand his dietary advice, even if he does not know what the dietary items he talks about are in reality.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क