Monday, October 15, 2012

Attitudes 9

“He has his favorite people” the staff member sniggered, “that he has brought here after he came here.”
I was sitting in the staff room, when I heard this from one of our staff members. It was a complaint that I could not do anything about even if I wanted to, because she was talking about my senior officer.
“Favorite people?” I asked. I had known bosses to take along their personal secretaries when they moved from institute to institute. This would be one such thing.
“Yes. Professors of xxxx, yyyy and zzzz.” I have put xxxx, yyyy and zzzz in place of names of three departments to protect the identity of these persons.
“So?”
“They are all women!” she sniggered again. She was suggesting something, but not saying it openly. I shrugged my shoulders and went about my work. I do not like people gossiping, and making accusations about other people's characters. Fifteen days passed. Then she was back again.
“Dr. xxxx was pulled out by the Boss to do something for him, and the work of that theater stopped.”
“Dr. xxxx?” I asked. I was not familiar with the name.
“You know, one of the people the Boss transferred here when he came here.”
“Must be very good at doing that work” I said in defence of Dr. xxxx, poor woman.
“Ha!” she said.
A month passed. Periodically there were comments showing disrespect for the Boss and his favorite people. Then one day things changed. The Boss was suddenly a very nice person. Dr. xxxx was a nice, decent, friendly woman.
“While we were talking ....” she said about Dr. xxxx.
“How did you get together?” I asked. I thought you did not like her.”
“The Boss has placed us on the same committee. We share a lot of viewpoints” she said. “He has made me in charge of the working of a new department the institute will start.”
“Hm....” I said. In the next meeting of hospital staff members, the Boss called this critic turned friend by her first name. She almost blushed.
Hats off to the management of this Boss. He had charmed an enemy into a loyal friend. All he had to do was to make her feel special (by calling her by her first name – makes them feel younger too), give her something others did not have (by making her officer-in-charge of something new), and give her recognition (by placing her on a committee). I have not heard a single word from her since then criticizing the Boss and his favorite people, or tarnishing their characters.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क