Friday, October 12, 2012

Busy Subordinates

“Sir, you won't believe this!” one of our Professors told me.
“What?” I asked. I thought I had seen enough and nothing would surprise me any more. But I could be wrong.
“We were in a meeting called by the Dean. It had to do with three clerks of two sections, who were called. Only one clerk out of three came. He said one of the others had gone to the head office, and the other one was busy and hence had not come. The Dean nodded her head. But another staff member got angry, and asked how could a clerk not come saying she was busy when the Dean herself had called her? Then the Dean also said what was the clerk busy with. The clerk was told in no uncertain terms to come and she came. Now a clerk has the guts to tell the Dean that she was busy and could not come when called.”
“Hmm....” I said. “I am not surprised because of two reasons. The first one is that the new Dean is mild by nature and kind. She would not take offense at such behavior by a person far junior in the hierarchy. The other reason is that I have seen such behavior before.”
“You have? Where?”
“In my own unit. I was in the OT. We had a patient who had had a copper-T inserted by my House Officer five months ago. I was in the process of its removal laparoscopically because it had migrated into the abdominal cavity. It had passed into the right broad ligament and then had partially exited into the peritoneal cavity through the posterior leaf of the ligament. 'Please call that House Officer' I said. She was in another unit after having finished six months of residency in my unit. She did not come. She did not meet me for another week. When I saw her next, I asked her why she did not meet me as I had asked her to do. She said she had been busy.”
“Huh? What did you do to her? In our days we would have got thrown out of the hospital if we dared try such a thing. Furthermore, we would never have passed M.D.”
“Nothing. I told her ignoring an order by the Head of the Department was inappropriate behavior. She went away. I would have shown her where she had gone wrong, and told her the right technique of avoiding such a complication. She missed out on that education. She passed M.D. and went away.I wonder who will remove the copper-Ts that she inserts after they migrate out of the uterus.”

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क