Sunday, November 11, 2012

Green Show in Obstetrics

When you search this term on Google, you find 2540000 hits that deal with shows which are in theaters, fashion industry, television, and shows related to being eco-friendly. In all these hits, there is not a single one related to obstetrics. After I complete this post, there will be one.
For those of my readers who do not know what is 'show' in obstetrics, I will explain. It is the vaginal discharge that is found in a woman who has gone into labor. It is the cervical mucus plug along with a  little blood that comes out when the plug comes off the cervix. It is one of the signs of onset of labor. Every student of obstetrics knows this. There is another term that may not be understood. It is 'meconium'. It is the stool passed by the fetus while in the mother's uterus. It is green in color, and its presence often indicates fetal distress, which may lead to fetal death if it is not delivered soon. Every student of obstetrics must know this, and every Resident Doctor knows this. At least that is what I believed until the other day.
I am on vacation. However someone got so upset with something that happened in my department, that he/she sent me an email. It was about a Resident Doctor'.
'This girl noted that a woman in labor had meconium in the vaginal discharge. She did not document it on the patient's case paper. When it was discovered by the Registrar a few hours later, and when she asked this Resident Doctor why she had not done anything about it, she answered that she thought it was 'green show' and hence she did not do anything about it. The Registrar was aghast.'
When I read the email, even I was aghast,
"This Resident Doctor is doing her fourth house post. How could she not diagnose meconium?" I asked someone.
"Beats me" was the answer.
"And Green Show?" I said. "Show is always red, never green. There is nothing called 'Green Show' in Obstetrics."
"That Resident Doctor is making history" was the reply. "She seems to be original."
"You are being sarcastic" I said.
"Of course. This doctor must have known all along that it was meconium.  She must have been very lazy, and decided to ignore it so that she would not have to treat that complication."
"But that jeopardized the fetal well being" I said.
"She must have been very selfish too. Nothing must have mattered more than her personal comfort."
"And what if she genuinely thought it was 'Green Show'?" I asked.
"Then her future would be very dark. She does not seem fit to practice obstetrics."
I will say that was an honest and frank opinion. I will find out the truth only after I join duty.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क