Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Strategic Applications

There is a curious tendency for my staff members to apply for leave when I am on vacation or leave myself. On the first day of my last vacation, the Assistant Professor who had joined duty after six months of earned leave just the day before put up her notice of resignation and application for leave without pay for a month, to which she was not entitled because no such leave is granted in vacations, when the hospital is working with 50% staff members. The idea was to avoid the deposit being confiscated by the institute for resigning without any notice, and still not work for a single day after a six months' leave. She knew I would not sanction it. My next in command promptly sanctioned it, claiming ignorance of rules.
The day after I went on vacation this time, my Assistant Professor put up notice of resignation. I wonder why he was afraid to do so in my presence. I would not hold back anyone - not that I could if I wanted to. He was working during vacation anyway. I think they discuss strategies amongst themselves, and apply a strategy at inappropriate times.
That reminded me of two of my staff members, both Professors at that time. One would put up long leave application when I was away, and get the other Professor's signature on that application. The other one had put up an application for permission to publish about ten scientific papers, none of them ready anyway. It was just a list. It was dispatched just the day before I took charge as Head of the Department. It was probably fear that I would not forward the application.
Only a person who knows he or she is wrong and still wants to do that wrong behaves in such a manner. I wish they had read Stephen Covey's masterpiece - 'Seven Habits of Highly Effective People'.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क