Saturday, May 11, 2013

Final Counseling

We get patients who have been to other doctors and have been advised on their conditions. They reach us because ours is a free hospital, and they cannot afford the treatment in private centers. Sometimes they reach us because they have doubts about what they have been told about their treatment. Sometimes other people bring them, promising better treatment than in private centers.
We counsel them the same way as we would patients who have not been to see other doctors. We tell them what they suffer from, and what the treatment will be. Some of them accept what they hear from us and get treated. Some are not satisfied with that.
"But doctor, the previous doctor said I had *** condition and I needed *** treatment."
"After examining you and checking reports of tests you have undergone, we feel that you have ### condition and you need ### treatment" I say.
"But then why did that previous doctor say differently?"
"That is a question you should ask the previous doctor" I say. "I cannot say why someone else says something."
"But now what should I do? Which treatment should I take?"
I can see that the patient is confused, not only about her diagnosis and treatment, but also about whom to ask which question.
"Now you have to think about what you have heard. Then you should follow that doctor whom you believe to be more intelligent" I say. When that does not make sense to her, I sometimes say "you could always consult a third doctor, and then follow the advice of the majority." I cannot say what she should do if the third doctor advises something that is different from the first two doctors' advice.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क