Thursday, May 9, 2013

Non-dyslexic Right-Left Confusion

I read somewhere that women have a tendency to confuse between right and left sides. I did not believe it, because women are far more accomplished than men are. Surely such a simple thing would not confuse them. I would not have tested this hypothesis out, but I was bored waiting for the next case to be induced. So I asked our resident doctors to show me their left hands. I was dumbfounded. 70% of those showed me their right hands without a moment's hesitation. When I explained why I had asked such a thing, they grinned. After coming home, I thought back to my childhood, and remembered a woman relative making a movement of putting food in her mouth to confirm which was her right hand before answering that question asked by someone else. I also recalled girls touching their right cheeks when someone told them that there was dirt on their left cheeks.
I would have still put this away as a joke. But I see diagrams of laparoscopy findings made by some women resident doctors. The view drawn is as seen. But they label right side as left and left as right. I remember them writing the fallopian tube on the right side was transected when actually the left tube is transected. I remember them percussing the left side of the patient's chest for liver dullness while describing the action as performed on the right side.
I know what I am saying here may not be statistically correct. Someone should conduct a randomized controlled study on an equal number of men and women to see if this hypothesis is correct. I cannot do it, because the only captive population I have for a study is medical students and resident doctors, and women outnumber men in both the groups.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क