Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A new method to inspire resident doctors to study

It is true that sometimes we get the residents who just will not have an aptitude for operating. They have just five thumbs. On the other hand we occasionally get a resident who is wonderful with his hands. I have one such a resident now who was performing his first hysterectomy the other day. I had a gut feeling that he would be good and from a group of three resident doctors I selected him to operate that they. I was a right. All of his ligatures were tight and I did not have to tie any of them again. He held his instruments like a pro and did not know it. I asked him where he would go for his third year residency, and found that his rotation would take him out of our institute. I do not manipulate rotations of residents just as I don’t manipulate anything else while running my department. So I will not have him in my unit any longer than his current posting. On the other hand, I have two others from his batch, who will continue with me, and who have twenty thumbs together. No matter how much I try to improve them, they don’t make any efforts by themselves. Finally I had a brainwave. I plan to take their exam every week, and the resident with the highest score will get to operate. If anything will make them study and improve, this will.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क