Friday, December 18, 2009

Plumber gynecologist

I am posting this one only because what I did gave me a sense of having achieved something that I was not expected to achieve. Actually many of my readers will perhaps feel that I should be calling a plumber to fix leaking connectors and faucets, instead of fixing them myself. But the first time I got a plumber to fix a brand new connector to the water inlet and the newly installed flush tank, he managed to break it and the shopkeeper refused to even acknowledge that it was purchased from his shop, though I had a cash memo of the purchase made the previous day. After prolonged discussion, he did replace it, but sold me teflon tape and asked me to fix the connector over the tape rather than over a teased out string like the plumbers do. The whole experience was so traumatic, that the next time the connector between the water pipe and our geyser started leaking, I just shut off the mains, took out the connector, went to a hardware shop and purchased a heavy duty connector. I had learnt that the connectors had to be treated with gentleness, so I treated it gently, and fixed it over teflon tape wound over the female end of the joint. It actually worked! So when the faucet started leaking at both the connector end and the water outlet end yesterday, I decided to fix it myself. The connector end was like the last time, and it worked with fixing over teflon tape. The outlet was a different matter altogether. I had to figure out where it came apart. Then I was able to open it with a spanner. There was some dirt collected over the filter inside it, which was probably forcing the water out through the joint due to back pressure. I removed it and then fixed the cap over teflon tape. It worked! The first time my wife had been impressed when I had fixed the connector and stopped the leak. This time she had casually mentioned that there was water leaking, and when I told her about my achievement of fixing the leak, she took it without any element of surprise and did not praise me. I take that as a compliment, since it showed her acceptance of the fact that I would be able to do it.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क