Thursday, December 24, 2009

Attitude

Surprised it is a blank? I think it has to do with attitude of a troll..
I had worked out things such that we had standard operating procedures or SOPs for everything. They were explained to all of our resident doctors at the beginning of every term, each term being of six months. Thus in a period of about three years, every resident listened to the stuff six times. The procedures were quite logical and reasonable. Nothing was very taxing. And we now have about ten residents in each unit, as compared to three per unit when I did residency, The work load has increased, but not three times. A mature, adult person, that too a qualified doctor, should be following the SOPs without any problems. I trusted them, and did not do any policing. So there was peace. Since life was going on, I supposed work was getting done in a way. The patients were coming in, getting treated, and going away, but not the right way. Actually it came as a surprise when a colleague told me that residents were not writing admission notes on the patients' OPD papers. I checked out my own unit papers, and found that three of my Registrars and one House-officer had not written any notes on five papers, all five quite serious patients. It was understood that we being health care giant i.e. a tertiary level center, we treated most of the critically ill patients well and they went home fine. So it was not as if they died and it did not matter if their OPD papers did not have any admission time findings. When these patients went to another doctor for treatment in their next pregnancy, there would be no information available about their condition when they went in tabor in the previous pregnancy. It was a case of gross negligence. I asked the reidents why they did not write these notes. They had no answer. At least they offered none. One Registrar said he had done it for the first time in his life. I could not believe it. A first mistake is not often discovered, when there is no system of checking for mistakes routinely. I proved he was cheating, when I found another patient whom he had admitted without writing any notes. I made all of them write the notes then and there. Then I asked them what disciplinary action should be taken against them. They offered no suggestions. I left it for later, because there was more important work that needed my attention. But I am upset because I find in this generation of doctors a lack of commitment that is essential in this profession. I find that they want to cheat when they think no one is watching. I am upset because they are like rebellious kids who revolt the moment they are without any supervision. I am afraid for the country, because these are the people who will administer healthcare to future generations of people.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क