Sunday, September 12, 2010

Divine Justice?

I was brought up to believe in God and in Divine justice. I was a firm believer that truth would always prevail and merit would always triumph. We had this examiner for my MD exam, who gave me a low score on the first day when I knew my all answers were correct. The supervisor told me to be less arrogant so as not to displease her further. Then I learned that giving confident answers was being arrogant. I was pushed down to third rank. The first two were students from that examiner’s college. I don’t know what she got by depriving me of what I deserved by merit. I don’t know what divine justice has been meted out to her… no one knows where she is. Perhaps she is in retirement, in US or some such place, with her children. We had this head of department who used to dislike me even if I had had no contact with him. I was a Registrar in another unit, which had nothing to do with him. He tried to get me out of corporation hospitals by giving me zero marks in the interview for selection of lecturers. I still topped the list because the others gave me marks I deserved. He died soon after retirement, was terribly sick before that. But would that be divine justice? Was it not punishment to his family rather than to him? There was that additional commissioner who placed me at the most peripheral hospital when I had topped the list of lecturers selected in the interview I just mentioned. He had placed other specialty toppers in the topmost institute, but not those who had been interviewed after a dividing point arbitrarily fixed by him. That was because he wanted his niece to be in the topmost institute where I should have gone, and some other influential person wanted some topper in the topmost institute. For this injustice, the said additional commissioner was not meted out any Divine punishment. He continued to be on committees after retirement, drawing fancy remuneration for God knows what services rendered. There was that additional commissioner who promoted an associate professor to the vacant post of a professor in our institute, and placed her to work in the institute where she wanted to continue despite refusal to permit such an arrangement by all of us. I did not see any divine justice meted out to this additional commissioner, nor to that associate professor for unethical maneuvering using means best known to her. There was that Dean who troubled every Head of Department in the institute with whimsical behavior and irrational decisions. That Dean went on to occupy higher positions after retirement. I am yet to seen any Divine justice in that case too. I continue to see people in position of power all around us twisting the system to get what they want. They all continue merrily, while those hurt by their maneuvers continue to remain hurt or be hurt further. There is no divine justice apparently in all those cases. I believe in Stephen Covey (the guy who wrote ‘seven habits of highly effective people) and try to be principle centered in what I do, trying to do the right thing always. Covey did not mention anything about Divine justice, because he is a practical man. Perhaps I should forget that Divine justice and do as Covey says, knowing there will be times when I will encounter people who will be bad, and that I should continue to do my thing rather than follow their example, because I have to be comfortable with myself at the end of the day and at the end of life.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क