Monday, September 27, 2010

Noun, Adjective or Adverb?

"Sir, she came to emergency room fully" my Registrar said during the morning round. 'Fully' is a Marathi word which means X in English. But this Registrar was speaking English, and though resident of Maharashtra at present, came from east India and would not use a Marathi word while speaking English. 'Fully' was an old word used by the recent few batches of resident doctors in place of 'fully dilated' to describe the condition of the cervix during labor. They wanted to stress the point that the woman had entered the second stage of labor and delivery was expected soon. I wondered what drove them to omit 'dilated' and just say 'Fully'. Laziness? That was a possibility. A stronger possibility was the habit of using SMS Script. If you could write U instead of 'You' and get away with it, why not? I recalled one of our residents in her first post writing a patient's marital history as 'the patient and her husband staying 2gether' on the patient's case paper. 2gether meant together. Even if she had written 'staying together', it was not very good English. She would have done better writing 'cohabiting'. I had heard that 'fully' business too long. They could not continue like that. They would say the same thing in their final exam, and also when they went abroad, and bring shame on their teachers. "Is that 'fully' a noun, an adjective, or an adverb?" I asked. "Adjective" she answered after thinking for awhile. "Adjective of what?" I prodded. "Adjective of 'dilated' " she answered after thinking some more. "What is adjective of an adjective called?" I asked. I would have made a terrible teacher of grammar, I thought. "Or is 'dilated a noun?" She was used to my method of questioning. "It is an adverb" she said and grinned. She has not said 'fully' in front of me since then.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क