Saturday, September 18, 2010

Orderlies?

Resident doctors are registered with us for their postgraduate studies. They have a teacher each. That teacher decides what operative work they get. That teacher signs their leave applications, their exam forms, their post completion certificates, their dissertations. That teacher is in total control of their educational process. This God-like control gives some teachers ideas. Here are some of the sentences uttered by some teachers addressed to their residents. “Just take my bag and put it in the staff room.” “take this key and bring my laptop from my locker.” “Prepare slides for me. I have to give a talk in the annual conference.” “Type out these pages for me.” “This doctor is arriving by the evening flight. Go receive him at the airport and take him to this hotel.” “Call the servant.” “Hold my mobiles. If anyone calls, tell them to call later.” “Write a chapter on this topic in 2000 words. I will make you my co-author in a book that I have been invited to write this chapter in.” “Go to the cancer institute and get reports of my relative.” “Get tea for me from the canteen.” The residents usually do all this and do not complain because they have to get that degree and they cannot afford to displease the teacher. Sometimes they revolt when it becomes too much, and they have solid backing. It happened in two other institutes in the city. Senior teachers were subjected to official inquiries. After a lot of mental anguish, things were settled. That order for getting tea was allegedly given to an intern many times, and finally he threatened to commit suicide. It was in all the newspapers. It was settled after counseling, I hear. I had warned all staff members not to give any resident any private work. I did not want something like those inquiries to happen in my institute. Those highly qualified doctors were not to be treated like orderlies. I make it a point to carry my own stuff even if I am tired and someone offers to carry it for me. I write my own scientific articles and books. I make my own slides and do my own personal work myself. But setting a good example does not seem to work. They probably think I am a fool not to get work done by others without having to pay for it. I still see some things like that happen or hear about them. I hear that the two teachers who had been subjected to those inquiries are also back to their old habits, wherever they are. In my department, unless the doctors complain, I cannot initiate action on their behalf.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क