Wednesday, May 18, 2011

PDF Woes

I was in the process of bringing out a new edition of my book. As it so happened, the typesetter for the previous edition had done all work using Adobe Pagemaker. It would be tough to convert all files to MS Word (each page manually), I learned Pagemaker, and revised all 9 files. One chapter required a radical change. So I did that part in MS Word. The publisher got them printed on paper. I checked them, made a few minor corrections and gave the files back. Then the guy who makes the negatives for offset printing told him that he wanted a single PDF file. That was no problem. I used a light-weight PDF printer driver to make 9 PDF files, joined them with a PDF joiner, and gave him a single PDF file. That should have been the end of it, but it was actually the beginning of all troubles. He got another set of all pages printed on paper, and found that it had shrunken to 70% of the original page size. He told me about it. So I took a printouts using PDFXchange viewer as PDF reader, and they were OK. I took a few with Adobe Acrobat Reader, and they were shrunken. Then I selected 'none' as option in shrink page box, and got an OK print. So I told him about it. But it would not work on his computer. Then I created PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro (thank God I used the 1 month trial version rather than buy the Pro version), joined them as before and sent him that file. This time the printer cut off the top 20% or right 20% of the page on his computer. I tried it on my computer and it made some fonts smaller. Actually the PDF file is supposed to be unchangeable. I googled this and found others who had had some problems, but none like mine. Now I am in the process of manual conversion of the entire work into MS Word. Then I will print it with Acrobat Pro and if it does not work, I cannot think of any other solution to it. Any suggestions from my readers is welcome.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क