Saturday, May 7, 2011

Verb, not noun!

One of the jobs assigned to the interns in the gynec outpatient clinic is to obtain clinical history of patients, before they proceed to be examined by senior doctors. Some interns are quite good and elicit all possible relevant history. Some of them are not so good. We ask all history again anyway to confirm that whatever is written on the case record form is correct, and if any information has been missed. 'Patient complaints of urinary incontinence' one of my interns had recorded in one such case. “Do you lose urine involuntarily?” I asked the patient. “No. I can pass urine voluntarily to begin with every time I want to pass urine. But then the stream stops and I have to make digital pressure in there to start passing it again.” I called for the said intern. He arrived in due course looking mildly curious. “Is this history written by you?” I asked. He looked at the paper and said “Yes” noncommittally. “Please tell me if 'complaint' is a verb or a noun” I said, holding the paper in front of him and stressing on the 'T'. “Verb” he said promptly. “In the sentence 'Patient complaints of urinary incontinence' that you have written, is the word 'complaints' a verb or a noun?” I asked. “Verb” he maintained. I was discouraged by that answer. I did not think it would be worthwhile to discuss why he wrote that the patient had urinary incontinence when she had difficulty in passing urine. “All right. I don't think there is anything further that we have to discuss. You are doing wonderful work. Please go back and continue to do the good work.” He went back, probably quite happily that in the Boss' opinion he was doing wonderful work.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क