Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Advanced Speech Therapy

We have one resident doctor who spoke without any breaks for commas or full stops. Despite telling him/her not do so over two years and one month, there was no change. Here is what happened during one of the ward rounds.
“Thisisgravidathreeparatwowithninemonthsamenorrheaandpaininabdomenlastmenstrualperiodnotknownwithacutepaininabdomennohistoryofbleedingpervaginum”
“Hey, wait. I cannot make it out what you are saying” I said. “Say it all again with pauses between words, and wherever you would place commas and full stops.”
“Thisisgravidathreeparatwowithninemonthsamenorrheaandpainin” he/she said.
“Stop!” I said. “Say it again with pauses as I told you”.
“Thisisgravidathreeparatwowithninemonthsamenorrheaandpainin”
There was no improvement. If he/she did this in MS examination, the examiner would surely fail him/her, I thought.
“Stop” I commanded. “You have to start again and say it all again until you do it right. I will spend the whole morning listen to you, if I have to, until you do it right. Now start again.”
“This is gravida three para two withninemonthsamenorrheaandpainin”
“Stop. Start over again” I said.
“This is gravida three para two with nine months amenorrhea and pain in abdomen. Last menstrual period notknownwithactepaininabdo.”
“Stop. Start again” I said.
“This is gravida three para two with nine months amenorrhea and pain in abdomen. Last menstrual period not known, with acute pain in abdomen. No history of bleeding per vaginum.”
“That is good. Now tell me more about her” I said. The improvement lasted that day and for two more days afterwards. He/she has understood that I will make him/her go through that again if he/she reverts to his/her old style of speaking.
I wish I had thought of this speech therapy two years ago.
(Note: 'He/she' is used to protect the identity of the person concerned.) 

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क