Thursday, June 26, 2014

Red Wine in Gynecology

Some Resident Doctors were presenting a seminar on 'Scar Endometriosis'. They were following the standard sequence of a presentation. There was a speaker who was talking on the historical aspect. A part of the slide he/she presented is shown below. The red oval has been added by me to draw attention of the readers to the area of interest.

"Red Wine described this phenomenon first" he/she said. A lot of people suddenly moved from a phase of drowsiness to one of alertness.
"Where did you get this information?" one Professor asked.
"The internet" came an honest answer.
"Are you sure it was 'Red Wine'?" another Professor asked.
"Yes."
"But the internet is not a reliable source of information" I said. "Anyone can write anything on the inetrnet, without any accountability about the validity of the statements made. Perhaps someone put this stuff there to pull a lot of people's legs at one go. I myself have not heard of any Gynecologist called Red Wine."
He/she looked genuinely hurt at all the criticism. I decided to find out the truth of it. So when I had some free time in the evening, I did a Google search and found that Dr Redwine, a person who had dedicated his whole life to the study of endometriosis, had done pioneering work on this subject. He had passed away in 2012. So it was Dr Redwine and not Dr Red Wine. I spoke to the concerned Resident Doctor the next day, borrowed his slide, and looked at the reference he/she showed me on his/her mobile phone. It was 'Redwine' and not 'Red Wine' even there. I pointed that out to him/her. In the next academic meeting in the department, I made this announcement.
"For those who heard our young friend here state that Dr. Red Wine described scar endometriosis first, I wish to announce that a Google search showed me that it was Dr Redwine and not Dr Red Wine."
"It was a typo" he/she said.
"No, it wasn't" I said. "In a typo, one does not press the space bar and make the first letter of the next word capital. It was probably an expression of your romantic nature."

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क