Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Managing Files Without Extension

Our administrative office sent me an email with an attachment, which had been received by that office from a government office. It had to do with some healthcare related matter, since it was sent by a healthcare related agency of the government. I downloaded the file and tried to open it. Windows informed me that the file was of an unknown type and Windows did not know how to open it. So I checked the properties of the file. The file type was 'File'. It had no extension.
I informed our administrative office that the attachment could not be opened. But I could not let it go just like that. I could not believe that the government office people could make 'File' type of files that they expected doctors to read. So I gave it '.doc' extension by renaming it. Then I tried to open it in Microsoft Word. Word expressed an inability to open it. So I changed the extension to '.pdf' by renaming it again. My PDF reader opened it promptly.
As luck would have it, there was a goof up by the government office. They had not called me to the meeting at all. They had called the head of another medical college Obstetrics Gynecology department, but had written the address of the college as 'Parel', which was where my institute was located. We could call it a double-goof up, something on lines of a 'double-whammy'. One was sending the invitation to a wrong person, and the other was to remove the extension of their file, so that no one could read it. I could read it, only because I could read the mindset of the people who made that file and knew what they would do, though this was the first instance of it in my life.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क