Friday, March 16, 2012

Arrogance Par Excellence: IV

Arrogance is a trait not uncommon in government and civic organizations. Perhaps that is so because productivity is not an issue, accountability is most probably not an issue most of the times, and jobs are permanent. nationalized bands are like government organizations.
The income tax system of this country is such that the tax payer is required to know in advance his estimated income, so that he can pay advance tax in three installments, 25% by 15th September, 50% by 15th December and 100 by 15th March every year. If someone earns more money in later part of the year, he pays penalty or hides the money (the latter is illegal). I am salaried and do not have a problem about paying tax on salary - they deduct it at source. But the interest on my bank fixed deposits is another thing. The nationalized band where I used to put my savings in term deposits just would not tell me how much interest I expected to earn and how much tax they would deduct at source. I got it done by a kind clerk in the bank a couple of times. But then one day the officer told me it could not be done. He said it would be known only after it happened. I got tired and gradually moved by deposits to another bank as my deposits matured. I used to go to the bank every March and ask for the projected interest and tax, until my last deposit matured. Every year there would be a new manager. The manager I asked the last time said,
"We cannot do it."
"It should be possible" I said. "After all, you are deducting tax at source. How can you do it if you don't know how or how much?"
"The system does not give that information" he said.
"Your clerk gave it to me a couple of years ago" I said.
"That is impossible" he said and asked the clerk concerned if she had done so. She got scared and said she had not.
"So how do I do my advance tax calculations unless you give me the interest paid out to me?" I asked.
"I don't know" he said. "We won't do it."
"It is OK" I said. "I will manage somehow. I had Rs xxxxxxxx in term deposits in this bank. I have moved away all that money over the last few years. I suggest you contemplate this issue and see if you understand why I have done so. I shall move my last remaining deposits away when they mature."
I went away. The next day the watchman of my residential place gave me an envelope when I reached home.
"The bank manager came today and gave this for you" he said.
I thanked him and checked the contents of the envelope. There was the statement of the interest and tax cut on it by the bank. The arrogance of the fellow seemed not to have lasted when he realized what staggering amount (all my life's savings) had been moved away from his bank and why.
This year there was a new manager, who told me he could not give the interest and tax statement to me. I went away, and when my last deposit matured a couple of weeks later, liquidated it and moved it to another bank. Some people never learn, no matter how much you try. And the arrogance is there to stay.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क