Friday, March 9, 2012

Virtual Patient Virtual Operation

I thought I had seen all possible mess ups, but I was wrong.
That patient was scheduled for hysterectomy. Someone else was operating, and assisting. I just checked the case record sheet and consent, in case I had to assist some time in between. The patient's name was 'Shuxxxx' on the paper, as well as in the consent document. I knew that no Maharashtrian woman would have a name 'Shuxxxx', and it would be 'Suxxxx'. Just to be sure, I asked her,
"What is your name?"
'Suxxxx' she said.
"They have put your name as 'Shuxxxx' on all of your case papers as well as on the consent form. Did you write your name like that on the consent document?"
"No. Doctors wrote it. I just put my left thumb impression to indicate my consent" she said.
"They changed your name" I said, "that too at the age of 50".
She smiled in resignation. By this time she was already under spinal anesthesia and the operation was to start. I called the concerned resident doctor and the Registrar and asked them about this. They kept a blank face.
"This patient is not even admitted in our ward" I said. "It is another woman with a different name. This woman has not given a valid consent for the operation, because her name does not appear on the consent form. You are performing an operation on a woman who is not admitted in our ward and has not given a consent for the operation. If there is any complication and she goes to court, you will lose the case."
They kept quiet.
"Get her name changed" I said. they did that. the patient went home fine and all was well. I hope they learned something from all this..

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क