Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Interns' Convocation

I received a letter from the preventive and social medicine, asking me to relieve all interns on Saturday, as it was their convocation, and the Boss had given OK for it. I had no reason to hold them back, so I relieved them. But I was curious how they had a local convocation. Dictionary meaning of the word convocation was 'An academical assembly, in which the business of the university is transacted' (Oxford University). There were other meanings too, such as 'An assembly or meeting', and 'An assembly of the clergy, by their representatives, to consult on ecclesiastical affairs'. Obviously the last one was not applicable to the interns. They keep on meeting every day for one thing or other. So the second meaning also was not applicable. So it was something like the function held by the university in which they were given their degree certificates and medical oath. I was convinced it was not that because it held by the university, while the other civic hospital interns had held their convocation just a week ago. I knew that because one of our relatives had gone there as an extern and had attended that function. His parents and grandparents had attended it too. That sounded like the graduation ceremony in US where people fly thousands of miles to attend their son's or daughter's graduation ceremony. When a couple of interns came to invite me for that function, I asked them,
"How come you have a local convocation? They had one at the other civic hospital recently."
"Sir, we just gather, give speeches, have fun and lunch. Our parents come too."
"So it is a social gathering" I said.
"Yes, Sir. Please come for the function and lunch afterwards."
"Thank you" I said. "But I am afraid I cannot make it. I have meetings all morning. But you have my blessings. Do well."
That day indeed was glorious day for the interns, because I saw a large number of modern princes and princesses, the former in full suits and the latter in their mothers' expensive sarees, moving around, having photographs taken together and having fun.
I wish we had such convocations when I graduated.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क