Friday, June 14, 2013

Windows Movie Maker Caution

I thought I should caution Microsoft Corporation. But does the behemoth want to be cautioned? Perhaps not. When I searched the website of the company, it does not have any link that invites a communication. Its 'contact us' link is just about offering support in relation to its various products. I recall writing to them many years ago, when I found a serious glitch in Microsoft Excel. I sent the letter by air-mail spending a bit of my hard earned money. I expected nothing from them. They did not disappoint me. They did not even acknowledge the letter. They must be like our health university or the civic body - the motto is not to reply.
Well, I might caution my readers. It is about Windows Movie maker. It ships with Windows. Microsoft says it cannot be downloaded as a standalone set up file. I run Windows XP on two of my machines, and have not thought about upgrading to Windows 7 or 8 because I do not want to upgrade my hardware which is working well. But I thought I would like to update my Windows Movie Maker. So I searched the web and found a link as follows.

http://www.windows-movie-maker.org/index.html
It said the downloaded file would work on XP and subsequent versions of Windows. I was thrilled. So I downloaded it and set it up. I got my first suspicion when it installed in a new folder and not the old default folder. I got more suspicious when it offered to install another software called snap.do.smartbar and make snap.do as my default search engine. I declined because I did not want it, and also because it said it was a company incorporated in USA, spelling America as Aerica.. Subsequent web search showed that it is a malware that collects your data.
Then it offered to install 'RegClean Pro', which I declined too. A web search revealed a lot of people did not like it. I ran the movie maker I had installed. Its version turned out to be identical to the one I already had. I uninstalled it. It appears someone has obtained a set up file of Windows movie maker, and combined it with two other programs, which seem up to something unwanted by an average user. Microsoft can look after itself. But I might caution my readers at least. Hence this post. Take care.


प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क