Friday, December 20, 2013

Free Open Access Journal

Those who do not want to read the background, but want to visit the journal directly, here is the link to the journal.
Journal of Postgraduate Gynecology & Obstetrics 
I have toyed with the idea of publishing a journal of gynecology and obstetrics time and again. I always knew it would be a lot of work, but that did not matter much. There were a few journals which were free, and did publish articles we sent them. At those times, my enthusiasm for publishing a journal would wane. Unfortunately times changed. People started becoming editors of journals because it was prestigious. But they either did not recognize good material, or had nonacademic reasons to reject good material. I recall an article on a copper IUD that had become bare after retention in the uterus for years. It was sent by a colleague of mine to a 'prestigious' journal in the west against my advice. They returned it saying copper devices were not used any more. My colleague pointed out that copper devices were very much in use all over the world. Then the editor wrote back saying the article would not interest their readers.There was another 'prestigious' journal in town, where we had sent an article on an intramyometrial pregnancy, with a photograph. The editor returned it with the comment - 'the case seems fictitious'. I could not understand how anyone could produce a photograph showing a tunnel from the uterocervical canal going into the myometrium, with a pregnancy at the end of the tunnel. We published it in a national journal. Now the journals have turned fancy. They have online submissions, peer reviews, online or offline payments and publications. Unfortunately they understand that academicians are required to publish scientific articles. So they charge the sky. One such journal wanted me to publish my article in it. I asked the price, which turned out to be more than my salary for a month.All this and much more of it that I find too distasteful to write led me to start a journal of our own. It would disseminate useful experiences of doctors. It would also help the faculty and Resident doctors meet the requirements of the medical council and health university respectively.
Its title is 'Journal of Postgraduate Gynecology & Obstetrics'. It is open access, peer reviewed, and totally free. The first issue is scheduled to come out on first January 2014. Those who want to see what it will be like may see it at the following link. I invite all gynecologists and obstetricians to write for it.
Journal of Postgraduate Gynecology & Obstetrics

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क