Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Sixth Sense or Black Spot?

I am not writing this to boast of something. I am also not writing this to prove I have something special that most other people don't have. I cannot claim credit for it because I have not earned it by any efforts. I am writing it so that in case I forget it in my old age, I can read about it and remember. What better place than free web space provided by dear old Google? :-)
Many colleagues have told me I have a black spot on my tongue. Many times something I say comes true. I prided myself in believing it was my clinical acumen. Something happened yesterday that proved perhaps it was not always so. I got up in the morning and thought about the Sudoku puzzle it would have. I solve one every day because solving puzzles is fun, and it is said to keep senile dementia at bay. I had a sudden thought. 'What if the Sudoku comes with all the blank squares filled in?' I thought. 'That would be terrible. I would have no puzzle to solve'. A half hour later the newspaper guy delivered our Times of India. When I reached the funnies and puzzles page, there was the Sudoku, all squares completely filled in. You can look at the image below to see what I mean. You can access the archives of the newspaper to confirm what I have written is true. There is no way you can confirm that I truly had that thought. You just have to trust me on that one.

Something else happened today. I was on leave for 2 days. When I took a round of our wards, my Registrar told me about one patient who had been admitted with a pelvic mass anetrolateral to the supravaginal cervix. It had the feel of a leiomyoma. She also had renal failure. I recalled telling my Registrar to obtain an ultrasonic scan of the patient's abdomen and pelvis.
"She might have ureteric obstruction by the mass, producing hydroureter, hydronephrosis, and renal failure. We have to confirm that it is truly a leiomyoma, and not a bladder mass" I had said. The Registrar had said nothing, but I thought she had a skeptical look on her face on hearing it could be a bladder mass.
"Sir, this patient developed hematuria. We got her ultrasonography and pelvic CT scan done. She has a mass arising from the posterior wall of the bladder. The urologists have performed percutaneous nephrostomy for hydronephrosis."
"Ah! I had said it could be a bladder mass" I said.
"Yes, Sir" the Registrar said.
Was it my black spot (but black spots make things come true which have not happened at the time of the utterances, this mass from the bladder had already been there as a bladder mass, and my utterance had not changed a leiomyoma into a bladder mass), sixth sense (ditto as for black spot), or my clinical acumen (which I would love it to be)? When I recounted the two stories to someone, the response was "Perhaps you have both a black spot and clinical acumen."
Now would I love that to be true! :-)
(Note: in case you want to write to me to predict the number of winning lottery ticket or the winner in the next horse race, I want you to know that I have not done that any time.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क