Sunday, December 1, 2013

Liquid Paraffin for Dressing: 2

I had written about how our Resident Doctors use liquid paraffin to dress an abdominal wound, when it is an adherent burst. For those of you who missed it, here is the link.
Liquid Paraffin for Dressing: 1
I had impressed on their minds that the commercially available preparation was not sterile and could not be used to dress wounds. I had told them to get it sterilized by putting it a hot air oven (dry heat) at 150 degrees Celsius for one hour. They did that for that patient.
There are two universal truths about things like this. One is that memories fade with time. The other is that history repeats itself.
"Sir, one patient with cesarean section has developed wound breakdown " the Registrar told me. "The surgeons have advised us to dress the wound with liquid paraffin."
"I trust you know how to sterilize liquid paraffin before using it for wound dressing" I said.
She looked at me blankly. One of the two universal truths had proved itself to be true.
"You have to put it a hot air oven (dry heat) at 150 degrees Celsius for one hour. Use it only after doing so" I said.
They looked at each other. After some time, they sent the Associate Professor to break it to me gently.
"Sir, they have ...um... already used liquid paraffin without sterilizing it. What shall we do now?"
They all kept looking at me, expecting me to explode. I have understood that anger does not do any good to anyone, and not desiring to be a victim of its effects myself, I spent time that I would take to count to ten.
"The germs have already passed into the wound" I said quietly. "See if you can put the whole woman in the hot air oven, which will sterilize the wound and the liquid paraffin in it."
They laughed. I thought it was sarcasm, while they thought it was a joke. The Associate Professor looked scandalized and worried.
"Don't worry" I told her. "I know they cannot follow my advice even if they try, because we do not have any oven big enough to take a human being."

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क