Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Medical Violence

The most common place of violence is in the movies. It is both general violence and violence against women. Going by media coverage and social media anger, the most common place for the violence against women would be Delhi and Mumbai, though by crime records it is anywhere in certain states in the country.
No one has talked about medical violence yet. That does not mean it does not exist. There is that occasional doctor who threatens to slap a woman screaming in pain in labor, unless she stops screaming. There was that House Officer a few years ago who had touched a woman's nose with the scissors he was holding while conducting childbirth, and said,
"Stop screaming or I will cut off your nose." She stopped, saved her nose, and now he is somewhere in UK. I trust he does not indulge in such practices there, or they would have deported him minus his nose long ago.
I have heard of House Officers who have slapped patients' thighs to stop non co-operation during childbirth.
"She was absolutely hysterical." the explanation would be given. "When I slapped her thigh (the only part nearby) she suddenly became co-operative and the delivery took place safely."
I had been aghast whenever I heard these stories. I thought nothing could be worse. I was wrong. Just the other day I heard another one that would beat any other story.
"He was Registrar when I was A House Officer" the story teller said. "He was quite rough on patients, many times abusive and at times violent. I remember two patients in particular. He had dislocated a patient's jaw once by slapping her face. The other one was given a broken finger. The reason was that they became hysterical with labor pains."
"Huh?" I was aghast again, this time more than at the previous times. "What does he do these days?" I thought he would have been stopped from practicing by some patient who went to a court against him.
"He is still around, practicing obstetrics and gynecology."
Lucky fellow and unlucky patients!

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क