Sunday, August 11, 2013

Projectile Gloves

I was delivering a lecture to an assorted group. There were doctors, nurses, microbiologists and personnel from an NGO. The topic was 'hand washing, surgical scrub, and wearing surgical gown and gloves'. It was an unplanned lecture. I had to deliver that lecture with 15 minutes for preparation, because the organizers had not contacted the speaker I had suggested from my department, and there was no one to give it. So I had no slides. The NGOs offered me their slides. I declined because the slides did not say or show what I wanted. The other reason for not using their slides was that to me using slides made by someone else was like using someone else's toothbrush or clothes. So I spoke with plenty of demonstrations and miming and a few stories.
"Are there any questions?" I asked at the end.
"How do you remove gloves after an operation?" a young woman asked.
"I put my fingers under the edge of the glove at the back of my wrist, the least soiled part. Then I pull it out. I do the same on the other side. Since I wear two pair of gloves, I remove the other pair the same way as the first one. This way there is no risk of any contact between my skin and the blood and body fluids on my gloves." Then I had an idea. "One should not dispose off the gloves like this" I said and started my demonstration. The gloves I had on were sterile, used only for that demonstration.

"That is what gashing young surgeons used to do when I was a student. If the glove fell in the bucket, he was in his opinion a fine surgeon. I prefer to throw them in a red bag for disposal of biohazardous waste."
The microbiologists nodded approvingly.
(Note: I tried very hard to make my GIF animation above loop only once. I tried a number of software programs. None of them works when I put it in Google blog.)

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क