Monday, June 27, 2011

Audio System: Use or Throw?

My neighbours are an elderly sweet couple, though a little less techno savvy than others. They have children who are engineers, but probably very busy with their work. So sometimes they are in need of technical help, and I always help them whenever they ask me, and sometimes even if the don't but I understand they need help. I was on my way to work that day, when I found that they had put their music system with its two speakers in the corridor leading to the staircase. Their door was open, and they were near the door. So I asked them, "are you throwing it away?" "Yes, it does not work. We want to buy a new one." "Why does it not work? It was OK a few days ago" I said, remembering the songs I could hear in my home while they were played in their home. "Nothing much happens to speakers in general." "The speakers are probably OK. We cannot get Marathi radio station we want." "Shall I look at it this week end? Perhaps it may be OK." "Oh yes! We do not like to trouble you because you are so busy." I rushed to the hospital, trying to make for the few minutes I had lost in this conversation. On Sunday morning I went to their house and had a look at the system. I had taken along my amplifier. I connected their speakers to this amplifier, and played FM radio on it. The speakers worked fine. "The speakers are fine. You do not have to throw them away." "But what can we do with only the speakers?" "Wait. Let me look at your music system" I said. Then I connected the speakers to their music system, and started scanning the FM channels. Different channels could be heard. "It seems to be working" I said. "But we cannot get the Asmita Wahini". Asmita Wahini was the Marathi FM channel they seemed to be longing for. I continued scanning the FM channels. Suddenly I heard songs normally broadcast on the channel they wanted. "This looks like your Asmita Wahini" I said. "That is Asmita Wahini!" they said excitedly. "So your music system is fine. Don't throw it away. Remember this setting where you get this channel" I said and went home. They continued to listen to their rediscovered music system. "What was it?" my wife asked me when I reached home. "It seems to be working." She could hear the music too. "It was working all right. They could not tune in to the channel they wanted." "They were going to throw away a perfectly OK music system because they could not tune in to a particular channel?" she asked incredulously. "Yes" I said. "Lucky you happened to see their discarded system and offered to help." "Yes" I said.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क