Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Medical Humanities Club

I checked up 'humanities' on Wikipedia, and found out that it shared something very strongly with 'psychiatry' and 'preventive and social medicine' which I studied as a student. One can Wiki it or directly check what it is all about at the following link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanities The similarity I found was that the description has a lot of words and sentences that did not leave any concrete understanding in my mind. It must be my inadequacy which prevents me from understanding something written in simple English. But I understand it is quite fashionable these days to talk of humanities. When speaks of such things, others listen respectfully. Suddenly there are experts on this subject, who are otherwise like we all who don't know much about it. Our institute has formed a cell on humanities, and there are members from different fields. I asked one of them to explain it all to me. The explanation was not one hundredth of what Wikipedia has to offer, and it left me as ignorant as I was before. I asked clear questions in simple English, which did not get me any answers, neither in English nor in any other language. They show skits and movies and discuss what they saw. I think we have another elite club, which is beyond the comprehension and reach of mere employees who work there for salary, even if they are giving excellent health care to the poor patients who come to our institute. They are going to include humanities in medical curriculum. I think the students will pass that subject too, like they pass psychiatry and preventive and social medicine, without really understanding what it is all about. After all, there might be a handful amongst them who might grasp the concepts, but the majority are unlikely to be smarter than their teachers who have been there for much longer. In the meantime, if any of my readers will visit the page I have mentioned above, manages to read through all of it, understands it, and is willing to explain it to me in simpler language, I would be highly obliged. Interestingly, there is no entry on humanities in medicine. You could be the one to make that entry and be more famous than you already are. I must tell our experts to write on Wikipedia on this before anyone else does. Just joking :-)

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क