Sunday, June 26, 2011

Choice of Gadgets

I understand our country is a leader in the use of mobile phones. If that had been for academic, business, industrial, research, and any other such professional activities alone,, by now we would have been at the top position in the whole world. Unfortunately we are just social people who want to talk, keep in touch, and remain in touch (if possible for ever). So we just talk and talk and talk, but the net result is just sound waves. I realized this quite some time ago, but the point was driven home with force when I went to the electronic shops and tried to buy a book reader. They told me none was available in the Indian market. I searched store after store. Then I searched the net. It was true. In a country that uses mobile phones in such a large number, there is no demand for electronic book readers. So Sony, which puts TVs and laptops and cameras in the market does not want to put a book reader in the market. I can understand Amazon not wanting to put in retail stores, because their policy is to sell their Kindle over the net. A Bengaluru based company has put Wink, an Indian book reader in just one shop in Mumbai. They had just 8 pieces. I went to buy one, and was disappointed. The device was small, and could read just text files. No graphics could be seen. My son advised me to buy Amazon Kindle using net banking or credit card. But I have a phobia of financial transactions over the net, and I could not bring myself to do it. In the meantime I kept cursing the attitude of our people which kept the book reader manufacturers away from the Indian market. Finally I procured Kindle 3 through someone who processed it for me. It is great. It shows text files, PDF files, graphics, and even reads out aloud. Now I can read all my electronic books that I would not read because the LED display of a computer screen hurt my eyes after some time. Now I can lie down and hold the reader in front of my eyes and read to my heart's content. I think there is a great scope for a book reader in the Indian market of students, provided the marketing is done with skill.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क